Selasa, 28 Juni 2022

Games are too cheap, or why I don't need a board game table

Conventional economic theory assumes that when the price of a product increases, its demand will decrease. The exception to this rule is Veblen products , and that usually applies to certain luxury items: people want them *because* they are so expensive, because thus owning them is a great status symbol. I spent an entire day at a board gaming conference yesterday, and one Veblen product is completely different: a Wyrmwood gaming table that's over 8,500 years old. Sure, there are "cheap" examples that cost less than $1,000, but the ones I saw at the conference cost over $2,000 and one for $13,500. Yes, it's nice to see a table as tall as a used table, but I'm sure I could furnish the whole house if I bought furniture from IKEA for that kind of money.

The reason these tables are different is because there's nothing really valuable at the conference. Yes, you can "upgrade" your board game, for example by buying metal parts to replace the cardboard parts that came with your game. You might be able to double the price of your board game by making it fancy, but it's still not that expensive. There are very few games at convention that cost over $100, and a lot of games that cost $50 or less (all the games I bought were). The most expensive board game I know of is Kingdom Death Monster, 350 gems for the original box and precious metal chess doesn't count. Some of the all-inclusive Kickstarter promises are more expensive, but then you get tons of boxes, expansions, and thumbnails from the game. So how much money do you really spend on your board game hobby?

A board game table has one main feature: a low-key indoor play area, usually with some sort of soft covering, such as felt or neoprene. Advantages: The soft playing surface makes it easy to pick up cards or other playing objects and the fence around the playing field prevents dice or other playing material from falling to the floor. Of course you can do what I did and place the soft material playmat (I used Chesapeake Megamate vinyl) on a regular table and don't roll the dice too hard or use the dice tray. Personally, I sit at a board game table and find fences uncomfortable, especially when trying to play a game that requires you to write something down. I don't really understand what an expensive gaming table would do for my solution. So my only explanation is that people buy board game tables *because* they are expensive. Buy something really nice for yourself or impress a board game group. I decided I didn't need it. And with this money, which saved me from this decision, I will buy a board game for ten years.

PERUBAHAN FISIKA

KATA PENGANTAR: Puji syukur kehadirat Tuhan Yang Maha Esa atas segala limpahan Rahmat, Ina, Taufiq dan Hinaya yang memungkinkan saya untu...